Thursday 24 January 2013

Communication is an art and a science

So many of us take our ability to communicate entirely for granted.  We feel that because we can write and speak, we can communicate.  We forget that communication implies not just what we can do as the one trying to communicate ideas, but the role of the person receiving and making sense of the message.  With effective communication, we need to make our goal: to be understood.


In project management, it is particularly important to communicate effectively; to understand what others' are seeing, hearing and feeling and ensure that the message we are trying to convey is received as we intend.  How can we do this most effectively?  I believe this depends on the receiver of the communication.

“Communication is first and foremost about the other person. It's not about what would be easiest, fastest or least scary for you” (Pollack, 2009).  It is important to know how this person prefers to receive information.  Look at how the person has communicated with you in the past.  If they normally leave a voicemail, it is likely that this is a preferred method of communicating for them.

In an exercise about effective communication, I read, heard and saw the same message delivered via email, voicemail and a face-to-face exchange.  I wondered which method worked best for me. 

Ø  As I read the email, I felt that the sender was clear, polite but honest about her needs.  Although I felt uncomfortable that I, as the reader, may have placed the sender in a difficult situation, she provided a medium for solving the issue and I felt like she would genuinely appreciate my quick response.

Ø  As I listened to the voicemail, I felt fear and shame.  I felt her disappointment and I wished I had not placed her in that position.  This is definitely not a way I prefer to be contacted. 

Ø  The method that surprised me most was the face-to-face exchange.  Although I initially believed this was my preferred method of communication, I did not like the way this particular message was relayed.  In the video, I only saw one person speaking and for me the best part of the face-to-face method is the possible exchange between the two people.  There were places in the dialogue where the receiver may have spoken perhaps apologizing or immediately providing the requested information, which were not there.  The one sided communication was too long, in my opinion, to be a fair representation of effective communication face-to-face.

From this exercise, I learned that I like email communication if it is clear, simple and sincere and may even prefer it to a face-to-face exchange if the request is a simple one.  However, as Pollack (2009) in the ABC article, The Best Way to Communicate in the Workplace explains, “If you have something complicated to explain, if you have a super-urgent message to deliver, if you get the sense someone is annoyed at you or if you are annoyed at someone, your best bet is to talk one-on-one”.   I certainly agree with that. 

Recognizing your preferred method of communication as compared to that of others can have a powerful impact on your overall effectiveness as a project manager, and for that matter, in all areas of your life.


Reference:

Pollack, L. (2009). ABC News. The best way to communicate in the workplace.  Retrieved from http://abcnews.go.com/OnCampus/story?id=6681011&page=1.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sylvia,

    I have to say that I, too, was taken aback by the face-to-face version of the message in this week's scenario. It was not the effective method of communication that I expected it to be. Instead of the confident, clarifying communication that you almost always expect a face-to-face encounter to be, it was more submissive and, in my opinion, less effective than the voice-mail message or email. This was due to the body language and tonality that were both lacking in assertiveness. This goes to show that face-to-face communication is only as effective as the sender makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia,
    It was interesting listen to your perspective of the three conversations. You stated the purpose of communication is to be understood I would add seek first to understand. You may be able to convey a clear message however if it do not meet the receiver’s needs it may fall on deaf ear. My preferred form of communication is face –to – face rather giving or receiving information. As you analyze the example it is important to remember there are two communication approaches formal and informal ( Portny, Mantel, Meredith, Shafer, Sutton, & Kramer,2008):
    A. Formal communications are preplanned and conducted in a standard format in accordance with and established schedule.
    B. Informal communications occur as people think of information they want to share.
    The hard part for me is knowing when to use which form and with whom. To have good communication it takes time to answer what I call the Who, What When, Where and How for communication. Who wants to be conveyed what, when, where and how?
    Reference

    Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

    ReplyDelete